Woodland Hills, PA – The Lady Lions continued to pound their way to victories on Sunday as the defeated Penn State University Athletic Conference Opponent PSU Greater Allegheny, capping their western road trip with two well-earned wins. Hazleton got all they needed in the first inning of game one, scoring 10 to start the game, then cruised to the finish line with a 10-0 win. The Lady Lions continued their prowess at the plate in game two, scoring in every inning in route to 17-1 victory to end the afternoon softball.
Game 1: Penn State Hazleton 10, Penn State Greater Allegheny 0 (Final, 5 Innings)
Top 1: The Lady Lions send 16 batters to the plate, racking up 10 runs on six hits and four walks, taking advantage of Allegheny miscues put the game out of reach early. With one out, Erin Dougherty delivers a key 3 RBI double. Their second trips to the plate in inning number one, Brianna Grunza cashes in a on a 2 RBI double of her own, followed by an Andrea Quillman RBI double, capping the scoring at 10-0.
Behind the Box Score:
- Quillman smashes three doubles, drives in two, going 3 for 3 with a run scored.
- All nine Lady Lion starters score in inning number one
- Kayla Rhome earns win number six, allowing just three hits, and striking out seven
Game 2: Penn State Hazleton 17, Penn State Greater Allegheny 1 (Final, 4 Innings)
Top 1: Sara Stauffer leads off the game with double, then proceeds to swipe both third base and home plate to score the opening run. Hazleton rallies with two out in the inning with a two run double off the bat of Erin Dougherty, scoring Quillman and Brandi Grunza. Two batters later, Britani Esser drives in Dougherty giving Hazleton an early 4-0 lead.
Bottom 1: Greater Allegheny cuts the deficit to three with an RBI groundout by Kaylin Bob, scoring Jen Keefer after she singled earlier in the inning.
Top 2: Following a single and walk to the top of the order, Quillman clears the bases with a three run homerun, extending the Hazleton advantage to 7-1 through two innings.
Top 4: Six straight singles lead to four runs before Allegheny forces an out in the inning. Quillman proceeds to turn the order over with a two RBI single, scoring Grunza and Stauffer to collect her fifth RBI of the game. Hazleton tallies nine runs on eight hits in the frame to seal the victory 17-1.
Behind the Box Score:
- Quillman drives in a season high 5 RBI to lead the Lady Lion offense, going two for three with a triple, a homerun and two stolen bases.
- Nine Hazleton starters score for the second consecutive game.
- Stauffer goes perfect four for four at the dish, scoring three times and driving in one RBI.
- Kayla Karchner picks up her first win of the season, throwing four innings of one run ball, allowing three hits and striking out three.