JESSUP, Pa. - Penn State Hazleton's 10-game winning streak was snapped by NCAA Division III opponent the University of Scranton on Thursday evening as the Lions dropped both sets of the doubleheader, 8-2 and 6-0. The Lady Lions (15-10, 4-2 PSUAC) were shutout in game two, only the third time all season Hazleton has failed to score a run. Freshman Kaitlyn Kaluzny (Wilkes-Barre, Pa.) cracked three hits on the night and scored one of the Lady Lions' two runs on an otherwise quiet night on offense.
Game 1: Univ. of Scranton 8, Penn State Hazleton 2
Bottom 1: Scranton opened up the scoring with two runs in the first as Kaitlin O'Sullivan singled to right field for two RBIs.
Bottom 3: Marisa Ciriello smacked a two-RBI single to left and would eventually score on a sacrifice fly by teammate Angelica Titor to give Scranton a 5-0 lead.
Bottom 5: Scranton added two more runs in the fifth, both unearned as the Lady Lions committed one of their four errors that lead to both runs.
Top 6: Hazleton got on the board as sophomore Andrea Quillman (Bernville, Pa.) smashed her seventh home run of the season, a shot down the left field line that would plate Kaluzny. This was the only true rally the Lady Lions could muster, ultimately stranding four runners on base over seven innings.
Bottom 6: Scranton answered in the bottom of the inning with a Jacqueline DeSarro double to center field that scored one to make it 8-2.
Behind the Box Score:
- Quillman picks up her 14th multi-RBI game, and adds her 22nd extra base hit of the season. Quillman is now tied for the USCAA lead with seven home runs.
- Sophomore Kayla Karchner (Hazleton, Pa.) dropped her fifth decision of the season despite surrending only three earned runs over her six innings of work.
- Hazleton's four errors were the most since they committed five in each of their first two games of the season in Florida.
Game 2: Univ. of Scranton 6, Penn State Hazleton 0
Bottom 2: Scranton opens up the scoring once again as Katherine Kunak reached on an error that would ultimately lead to two runs.
Bottom 3: DeSarro reaches on an error that plates a run, giving Scranton a 3-0 lead.
Bottom 6: Shannon Stricker reaches on another Hazleton error, allowing one run to score. DeSarro added a two-run single to make it 6-0.
Behind the Box Score:
- Hazleton managed only two hits in game two off of starter Jamie Hampsey, who struck out eight for her fifth win of the season.
- The Lady Lions' six errors were the most of the season, and lead to all the runs scored by Scranton.
- Kaluzny is the only Lady Lion to earn a hit in each game, while sophomore Tina Beiland (Philadelphia, Pa.) picked up a pinch hit single for Hazleton.
- Freshman Kayla Rhome (Marysville, Pa.) allowed six runs, all unearned as her defense struggled behind her. She scattered seven hits over six innings, but the Hazleton bats went cold on the night.
Next Up: Hazleton will look to start a new streak this weekend, first hosting Penn State Mont Alto on Saturday, April 18 at 2 p.m. in a PSUAC doubleheader. They then welcome Penn State New Kensington on Sunday at 12 p.m. Both doubleheaders will be played at Penn State Hazleton.