Hazleton, PA - The Lady Lions wrapped up a perfect four game weekend on Sunday with two victories over Penn State New Kensington. With the wins, Hazleton keeps pace with Brandywine and Schuylkill for third in the Penn State University Athletic Conference. Hazleton handled New Kensington in game one, ending the game in three innings by a score of 15-0, then cruised to a five inning victory in game two with a score of 9-1.
Game 1: Penn State Hazleton 15, Penn State New Kensington 0 (Final, 3 Innings)
Bottom 1: After holding New Kensington scoreless in the first half inning, the Lady Lions preyed on opposing pitching in the bottom half, scoring 11 runs on five hits and eight walks. Sara Stauffer took no time to get the offense rolling, squaring up the second pitch she saw and blasting a lead off home run to left field. Eight batters later, Stauffer returned to the plate to issue more damage in the form of a two RBI single to left, pacing the Hazleton first inning attack.
Bottom 2: 10 batters come to the dish to plate four more runs for the Lady Lions. Andrea Quillman picks up her third single and third RBI to put the game out of reach.
Behind the Box Score:
- 12 Hazleton hitters reach base safely in two innings at bat.
- Stauffer and Quillman lead all hitters in the short outting, driving in six of the 15 Hazleton scores.
- Kayla Karchner welcomes the run support, completes the three inning shutout in the circle for her third win of the season.
Game 2: Penn State Hazleton 9, Penn State New Kensington 1 (Final, 5 Innings)
Top 1: Consecutive doubles from Brooke Churma and Ashley Szymkowiak put New Kensington on the board in the first inning. Hazleton limits the damage despite four hits in the opening frame.
Bottom 1: The New Kensington lead is short-lived when three batters in, Brianna Grunza ties the game with an RBI single to score Kaitlyn Kaluzny from second base. Hazleton proceeds to send 12 batters to the plate to score six on five hits and take a five run lead.
Bottom 3: The Lady Lions send nine batters to the plate, cashing in three runs on four hits, including RBI singles from Brianna Grunza and Quillman, increasing the lead to 9-1.
Behind the Box Score:
- Quillman's five hit afternoon increases her batting average to .536 while picking up her league best 50th RBI.
- Britani Esser earns win number three, throwing five innings and surrendering just one run on four hits.
- Stauffer collects her 40th and 41st base hit of the season, boosting her average to .456.
Next Up: The Lady Lions take the day off on Monday as they prepare for their final out of conference matchup of the regular season. Hazleton greets Wilkes University on Tuesday at the Hazleton campus for a 3 PM double-header.