Hazleton, PA - The Lady Lions slugged their way to two Penn State University Athletic Conference victories on Wednesday afternoon. After a one hour and fifteen minute rain delay, Hazleton took the field against Penn State Worthington Scranton and began taking it to opposing pitching. The Lady Lions backed up their clout at the plate with outstanding pitching performances to win game one in five innings by a score of 9-0, and again in game two by a score of 17-0 in four innings.
Game 1: Penn State Hazleton 9, Penn State Worthington Scranton 0 (Final, 5 Innings)
Bottom 1: The Lady Lions string six consecutive hits together to jump out to an early 4-0 lead. Singles from Kaitlyn Kaluzny and Sara Stauffer made way for a two RBI triple off the bat of Andrea Quillman. Next up, Erin Dougherty towers a ball to right field for a two RBI home run to cap the inning.
Bottom 2: Stauffer drives in a pair of runs with a single to left field. Two batters later, Dougherty drives a single of her own to left field to score Stauffer and extend the lead to 7-0.
Bottom 3: Stauffer is at it again driving in a runner in scoring position, this time with a double past the centerfielder to add Hazleton's eighth run of the ballgame.
Bottom 4: After being hit by a pitch, Dougherty scores on a ground ball from Britani Esser, pushing the Hazleton advantage to 9-0.
Behind the Box Score:
- Kayla Rhome rights the ship on the mound allowing just three baserunners on two hits and a walk. Rhome's lively arm strikes out four straight to start the game and fans 10 total opposing batters on her way to her team high 10th victory.
- Stauffer ties her season high with three RBI going three for three at the plate.
- Dougherty busts out of an 0-8 skid at the plate with her third home run of the season.
Game 2: Penn State Hazleton 17, Penn State Worthington Scranton 0 (Final, 4 Innings)
Bottom 1: Three straight singles start a two out rally to get the offense rolling for the Lady Lions, including a two RBI single from Dougherty. With Dougherty aboard, Rhome takes her success from the mound in game one and applies it to her bat in game two. Rhome crushes a two run homer to left centerfield, vaulting the Hazleton lead to 4-0 through the first frame.
Bottom 2: Stauffer starts a six run inning for the Lady Lions with a two run blast to left field, scoring Tina Beiland who reached base on a free pass. Brianna Grunza and Quillman reach base with singles followed by a Dougherty hit by pitch to load the bases. With two down, Rhome smack her second home run in as many at bats, this time a grand slam to boost the score to 10-0 in favor of the Lions.
Bottom 4: Hazleton sends nine batters to the plate to score seven runs and end the game in early fashion. Kayla Karchner doubles to plate a pair of runs, followed by an RBI single by Beiland. With two out and two on for Hazleton, Quillman walks off the Worthington Scranton team with a towering three run shot to deep left center field, ending the game at 17-0.
Behind the Box Score:
- 10 Lady Lions collect hits in the winning effort.
- Rhome smacks her first two home runs of the year in back to back at bats, adds a season high six RBI to her resume.
- Quillman adds league best 10th home run and 56th RBI, boosts hit streak to eight games.
- Stauffer belts home run number four on the season, while throwing a one-hitter in the circle. Stauffer retired six straight to start the game and struck out four on her way to win number five.
Next Up: Hazleton continues their stretch of 12 straight home games to end the season when they welcome Penn State Schuylkill on Friday. Schuylkill stands just ahead of the Lady Lions in PSUAC play at 10-0, ensuring Friday's action to have major postseason implications. First pitch to be thrown out at 2 PM on the Hazleton campus.