Monaca, PA – The Nittany Lions baseball squad's struggles at the plate and the mound continued on Saturday as they faced off against PSU Beaver in Penn State University Athletic Conference play. Beaver pitching allowed just 9 baserunners for Hazleton in the double-header as they retired the Lions early in both games by scores of 10-0 in 5 innings.
Game 1: Penn State Beaver 10, Penn State Hazleton 0 (Final 5, Innings)
Bottom 1: Jake Debo doubles to score 2 following hits by Blaise McCarty and Rob Trhlin to start the inning. Two batters later, Debo would score on a sacrifice fly by Tyler Thellman putting Beaver up 3-0 through 1.
Bottom 2: Duncan Miklos scores the 4th Beaver run on a sacrifice fly by Blaise McCarty after reaching base on a walk, and taking advantage of Hazleton miscues in the field.
Bottom 3: Hazleton loads the bases with 1 out on 2 hits and a walk to begin the inning. Vinnie Ribar earns a walk and RBI at the plate to push Beaver's lead to 5-0.
Bottom 4: A walk and 3 hits start the Beaver offense in the 4th inning scoring 2 runs off the bats of Nick Cassanta and Tyler Thellman. Beaver is able to manufacture 2 additional runs on a sacrifice fly by Derek Bozic and a groundball out by Duncan Miklos, stretching the Beaver advantage to 9-0.
Bottom 5: Needing just one run to end the game, Hazleton surrenders 2 walks and a single to begin the inning. Unable to find the strikezone, Charlie Karchner issues his 3rd walk of the inning, to plate the 10th Beaver score, ending the game 10-0 in favor of the home team.
Behind the Box Score:
- Jake Debo provides both pitching and defense for PSU Beaver throwing 5 innings of shutout ball. Retiring 7 straight batters at one point, Debo finished with 6 strikeouts while giving up just 3 hits to Hazleton. At the plate Debo went a perfect 3 for 3 scoring twice, and driving in 3 runs to lead the Beaver offense.
- Charlie Karchner struggled to find the zone on the mound for Hazleton. In 4 innings pitched, Karchner allowed 9 hits and 7 walks while surrendering 10 earned runs in the loss.
- Catcher Joseph Nigito led collected 2 of Hazleton's 3 hits in the game with singles in the first and fourth innings.
Game 2: Penn State Beaver 10, Penn State Hazleton 0 (Final, 5 Innings)
Bottom 2: Beaver's Matt Capo starts a 2-out rally with a walk and gets into scoring position on a wild pitch. Albert Araiza singles to score Beaver's first run of the game and scores two batters later on an error by the Hazleton third baseman giving the home team a 2-0 lead.
Bottom 4: Four straight hits score 2 for Beaver including an RBI double by McCarty. Once again Beaver is able to provide productive outs as they plate a third run in the frame on a sacrifice fly by Jordan price to extend their lead to 5-0.
Bottom 5: With the game still within reach, Hazleton loads the bases for Beaver with 2 walks and an error leading to a big inning that would ultimately end the Lions afternoon. With one run in on a fielder's choice, a second error and a passed ball plates two runs for Beaver. Jordan Price doubled to score a fourth Beaver run and advanced to third on a wild pitch. With two outs in the inning, Nick Cassanta delivered the final blow, driving in Price on a single to end the game 10-0 in 5 innings.
Behind the Box Score:
- Dan Vanderslice pitches 5 innings of shout-out ball for Beaver in route to the win. Vanderslice allows just 2 hits while striking out 5 and issuing 3 walks on the day.
- Jordan price collects 3 hits, 2 RBI and 1 run scored to lead Beaver at the plate.
- Albert Araiza scores 3 times, going 2 for 3 at the plate with an RBI.
- Charles Ziegmont gives up just 4 earned runs for Hazleton, but issues 5 walks and allows 9 hits in 4 2/3 innings pitched.
- Cody and Corey Ryba provide Hazleton's only hits (2 singles) in game 2 as the Nittany Lions struggle to pressure the opponents defense.
Next Up: The Nittany Lions continue their western Pennsylvania road trip as they take on Greater Allegheny on Sunday at 12:00 noon in a PSUAC double-header.