Monaca, PA – The Lady Lions pounded their way to a clean sweep of PSU Beaver on Saturday in Penn State University Athletic Conference action. Hazleton bats collected 25 hits on the day and Lady Lions pitching held the opponent scoreless on their way to victory. Game 1 ended in just 3 innings with a score of 15-0, and game 2 finished by a score of 12-0 in five innings.
Game 1: Penn State Hazleton 15, Penn State Beaver 0 (Final, 3 Innings)
Top 1: Hazleton started the game with 6 consecutive baserunners before making an out. With 2 on and no one out, Andrea Quillman singled to bring in 2 runs, and promptly scored herself on a triple by Brandi Grunza. 12 Lady Lions came to bat totaling 8 hits in the inning to give Hazleton the early 8-0 lead.
Top 2: The Lady Lions came out swinging again in the second inning. With 2 on and one out, Britani Esser doubled, scoring Erin Dougherty and Brandi Grunza to extend the lead to double digits. The Lions would go on to collect 8 hits in the frame including 4 doubles (2 from Quillman), to increase their advantage to 15-0 after 2 innings.
Bottom 3: Pitching with a comfortable lead, Hazleton's Kayla Rhome makes quick work of Beaver hitting. Rhome gets the first two hitters to make infield outs, and after allowing a baserunner via the free pass, strikes out A. Borders to end the contest 15-0 in 3 innings.
Behind the Box Score:
- Rhome pitches 3 scoreless innings allowing just 3 baserunners and striking out 6 to earn her 4th win on the season.
- Five Lady Lions collect multiple hits in two innings at the plate.
- Sara Stauffer goes 3 for 3, with 3 runs scored and 3 RBI
- Andrea Quillman goes 3 for 3 with 2 runs scored, 3 RBI, and two doubles.
Game 2: Penn State Hazleton 12, Penn State Beaver 0 (Final, 5 Innings)
Top 1: Hazleton takes advantage of 3 errors by the Beaver defense, taking an early 3-0 lead with just one hit in the frame.
Top 3: Andrea Quillman triples to lead off the inning and scores on a passed ball after Beaver loads the bases. With 2 on and one out, Kayla Karchner doubles to score Britani Esser and Kayla Rhome and later scores on a wild pitch capping the 5 run inning for Hazleton and extending the lead to 8-0.
Top 4: Hazleton loads the bases with the first 3 hitters of the inning. Kayla Rhome walks to drive in a run. Erin Dougherty, who singled earlier in the frame, scores on a wild pitch, and Kayla Karchner delivers a single to drive in the 3rd run of the inning, putting the game out of reach for PSU Beaver.
Behind the Box Score:
- Sara Stauffer retires 9 straight Beaver batters before issuing a hit in the 4th inning. Stauffer struck out 7 total batters while giving up just 3 hits in 5 innings to earn the win in the circle.
- Andrea Quillman comes up a homerun shy of the cycle after flying out to right field in her last trip to the plate. Quillman finished 3 for 4 with 3 runs scored.
- Kayla Karchner goes a perfect 3 for 3 at the dish with a double, run scored and 3 RBI.
Next Up: Penn State Hazleton remains in western Pennsylvania on Sunday to face off against another PSUAC opponent in PSU Greater Allegheny. First pitch scheduled for noon as the Lady Lions look to continue their current 4 game winning streak.