Hazleton, PA - The Lady Lions entered Friday's double-header just two games behind Schuylkill in Penn State University Athletic Conference play with a chance to take over second place in the conference. Hazleton came up big in game one, holding their rival scoreless and slugging the ball at their usual clip to take the ballgame 8-0 in five innings. The hits dried up in game two, as the Lady Lions were unable to find base knocks with runners on base, falling in game two by the score of 4-3.
Game 1: Penn State Hazleton 8, Penn State Schuylkill 0 (Final, 5 Innings)
Bottom 1: Kaitlyn Kaluzny reaches base after being hit by the pitch and Brianna Grunza puts runners at the corners with a single. Andrea Quillman serves up a three run round tripper to put the Lady Lions on top 3-0.
Bottom 2: Hazleton loads the bases and Erin Dougherty pushes the Lions fourth run across the plate after being hit by a pitch.
Bottom 4: After a pair of singles to start the inning, Brandi Grunza singles to score Brianna Grunza, increasing the Lady Lions lead to 5-0.
Bottom 5: Sara Stauffer cranks a two run home run with one out in the inning. Kaluzny scores the game ending run on a Dougherty single to end the ballgame 8-0.
Behind the Box Score:
- Rhome is again lights out in the circle. The pitcher allows just one hit for the third time this season, striking out eight in five innings pitched to gain her 11th win.
- Stauffer collects her 15th multi-hit game, adding her fifth home run and 27th RBI of the season.
- Quillman remains hot, slamming her league leading 11th home run and bolstering her RBI total to 59.
Game 2: Penn State Schuylkill 4, Penn State Hazleton 3
Top 4: Scuylkill grabs its first lead of the afternoon with a sacrifice fly to break the fourth inning tie. Dominique Grosso's fly ball to right field scores Marcella Scheeler from third base.
Bottom 4: Hazleton reclaims the lead as Dougherty scores on a sacrifice fly by Lagowski. Stauffer breaks the one to one tie with an RBI double to score Britani Esser.
Top 5: Erin Luckenbil drives a home run over the fence to knot the score at 2-2.
Top 7: A pair of walks to start the inning put two runners in scoring position after a sacrifice bunt by Steph Killian. With two outs, Kaitlyn Boyer drives in both runners with a two RBI single, vaulting Schuylkill in front 4-2.
Bottom 7: The Lady Lions nearly come up with the last gasp comeback win. Esser doubles to score Grunza and cut the lead to just one, but with the winning run on base, Hazleton comes up a hit short, falling to Schuylkill 4-3.
Behind the Box Score:
- Hazleton leaves nine runners on base in the one-run defeat.
- Boyer goes three for four, with two RBI including the game winner, to pace the Schuylkill offense.
- Stauffer goes two for four with an RBI double, extends hit streak to nine games.
- Quillman hitless in the loss, hitting streak snapped at nine games.
Next Up: Hazleton will look to rebound after the loss when Penn State Fayette travels to the Hazleton Campus on Sunday April 26. The Lady Lions look to wrap up their regular season on a high note and gain momentum for a post season run at the title. First pitch to be thrown at 12 noon.